R: R: [GRASS-dev] GRASS-6.3.0RC4 Windows Native Binary (MSYS) Build Errors

marco.pasetti at alice.it marco.pasetti at alice.it
Thu Jan 24 09:42:43 EST 2008

Hi Moritz,

>>No, the sentence should be reformulated to "The port is of the current
>>GRASS version 6.3. There are no ports of earlier versions of GRASS."

Perfect! Now I know that building from RC4 source code is good, without referring to some cvs else.
Now the first step is done and I'm sure I worked on the right way (it just finished to re-compile RC4... it takes about two hours!! why so long???)

>>I'll have to test this again, but I think you are right. This used to
>>cause problems, but doesn't anymore. Not sure why.

good

>>I have no idea about how QGIS handles these dependencies. This you should better ask on the QGIS list.

Ok. I'll ask to ggis-developer.

>>The instructions are about how to compile a native windows port of GRASS on its own

Is it a problem if I check out only the building, without testing grass as "standalone" complete windows version?
To do this I should install some other stuffs, and it seems I already overtook my target....
I'm going to explain....

I'm an engineering student and I'm making an experimental thesis on solar radiation and mathematic models simulating transitory functioning of solar cells (photovoltaic); I approached GIS few weeks ago only to know how to determinate horizon lines starting from elevation data and a given GPS point (I need that to carefully compare my model results with real measured data); so, I discovered a big and deep world (have you ever heard to pandora's box myth?)... I also discovered that JRC developed a GRASS module called r.horizon that it's perfect for my purpose... even if it's not included in current grass distribution. I looked for sources and informations on how to build executables for windows; I even installed linux (ubuntu 7.10, dual boot with xp pro) on my machine, to let it work easily.... but, for many reasons, I need it on windows... so.. here I am! at this stage I already built r.horizon (and r.sun2 module, also from JRC) without errors... but I want to continue because I think that, if you (developer community) have been so kind in writing wikies and replay to mails, I must replay with tryng to do my job too... ;-)

Sorry for the OT. But I think it was necessary

Thanks,

Marco