R: [GRASS-dev] GRASS-6.3.0RC4 Windows Native Binary (MSYS) Build Errors

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Thu Jan 24 08:54:33 EST 2008

Hi Marco,

On 24/01/08 14:32, marco.pasetti at alice.it wrote:
>> Please look at (and amend)
> http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/WinGRASS_Current_Status
>
> About this document I've got some questions:
>
> 1) [...] The port is of the current cvs branch GRASS 6.3. There are
> no ports of earlier versions [...]
>
> I used 6.3.0RC4 source code (as I told you)... should I use a
> snapshot instead? (i.e.
> http://download.osgeo.org/grass/grass63/source/snapshot/grass-6.3.svn_src_snapshot_2008_01_19.tar.gz)
>  Actually I never used CVS, and in windows (using MSYS) I don't know
> if it works (and how does it works!) Some suggestions?

No, the sentence should be reformulated to "The port is of the current
GRASS version 6.3. There are no ports of earlier versions of GRASS."

> 2) [...] You also have to erase $(MANDIR) $(MANPAGES) from line 13 of
>  man/Makefile, i.e. 'default: $(MANDIR) $(MANPAGES)' -> 'default:'.
> [...]
>
> I'm reffering mainly to this wiki
> http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/BuildingFromSource#head-780e111c05f2c81b08bb55f1c8ad322cd6351fc1
>  This is a wiki on woh to build qgis, and contains all instructions
> on how to build grass Windows Native Binary to be included in qgis
> (so without GUI). The previous instruction is not included, but
> building works though.

I'll have to test this again, but I think you are right. This used to
cause problems, but doesn't anymore. Not sure why.

> 3) [...] After compiling you should copy libxdr.dll, libproj.dll,
> libpng.dll, libgdal-1.dll and libz.dll.1.2.3 into the GRASS lib
> directory and all the GDAL and PROJ .exe files in the bin directory
> into the GRASS bin directory [...]
>
> Is this necessary even if I want to run grass only i qgis?

I have no idea about how QGIS handles these dependencies. This you
should better ask on the QGIS list. The instructions are about how to
compile a native windows port of GRASS on its own.

>> However, what would be good to study and solve are the compilation
>> errors for r.terraflow and r.li*...
>
> OK. I'll work on that...

Great !

Moritz