[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] v.coordinate.sh - improve this script?

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Jan 25 12:59:14 EST 2008

We are using wxPython instead of wxWindows. There was a long
discussion about this a couple years back. As I understand it, both
wxWindows and QT are natively built in C++. This, and related factors
of how one actually operationalizes an interface, makes their
programming considerably more difficult for the GRASS development
group (mostly scientists rather than dedicated programmers) to develop
and maintain.

However, wxPython (Python bindings for wxWindows) runs under Python.
This is much more widely known and easier to develop in. This means
that there are more potential developers available--and user/
scientists like me can actually work with it. It also has the added
value of ultimately making Python a dependency of GRASS, which makes
it a favored scripting environment. Like native wxWindows and QT,
wxPython is completely cross-platform. AFAICT, its development closely
parallels that of wxWindows, giving us access to the power of
wxWindows with the easy of Python.

Michael
Michael Barton, Professor
Professor of Anthropology
Director of Graduate Studies
School of Human Diversity & Social Change
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA