[GRASS-dev] svn seems to complete commit to repository, but hang locally

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jan 25 15:23:12 EST 2008

Patton, Eric wrote:
> On Jan 25, 2008 6:35 PM, Patton, Eric <epatton at nrcan.gc.ca> wrote:
>>> I'm having trouble with svn today...for some reason, the svn commit hangs at "Transmitting file data ." even though the commit seems to have been completed and is browse-able on the repository. >>Has anyone had trouble uploading commits? Server problem, maybe?
>
>> Eric,
>>
>> I was told that this happens when the CIA IRC bot hangs
>> (http://cia.vc/stats/project/GRASS).
>>
>> The SVN server should be ok. If you can access IRC, you could in those moments
>> irc://irc.freenode.net/osgeo
>> or
>> irc://irc.freenode.net/telascience (preferred). Then the OSGeo
>> sysadmins could check.
>>
>> Markus
>
> Thanks for the hints; I'll give it a try next time.

Eric / Markus,

I've heard this claim about the CIA IRC stuff too but I'm not at all
convinced it is true.  The CIA aspect is initiated by an email from
the svn commit hook script and the sending of that email is done by
running a command in the background.  I don't see how this could hold
up the overall svn transaction.

I personally have a very high latency satellite connection and https
transactions (as I hope you are using for svn) is very slow over this
link.  I also have problems with svn actions appearing to hang even though
from other signs I can see that all the server side action went fine.
I generally end up having to control-c the commit after a couple minutes of
no action and then do an "svn cleanup ; svn update" to fix up my local
repository.

It is possible these issues are somehow related to a problem on the
svn.osgeo.org server, but I haven't been able to isolate anything in the
past.  If you are seeing persistent problems, dropping into #osgeo and
letting us know so we can check the server side is a good idea.

But I don't *think* it is really CIA related.

Best regards,