[GRASS-dev] what does zoom= do?

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 27 23:06:56 EST 2008

> > Michael Barton wrote:
> > > What does zoom= do in g.region?
> > >
> > > I tried a couple tests and it seemed to have no effect at all.

Hamish:
> > say you have a mostly NULL map with some data in the middle.
> > 'g.region zoom=rastermap' first does like 'g.region rast=' then
> > shrinks in  on all sides until it hits some data.

Markus:
> Cool feature - didn't know that yet!
> Let me suggest to re-word
>      zoom   Raster map to zoom into
>
> since this doesn't say anything. Maybe:
>     zoom   Raster map to zoom into (zoom to data area)
>
> OK, something better would be appreciated.

Changed in SVN. But it is more interesting than I thought. It shrinks
inwards but doesn't perform the rast= task first. So it can shrink to
interior clumps if already zoomed in.

for example:

#spearfish
g.region rast=fields
d.mon x0
d.rast fields
d.grid 1000 -n

g.region n=4926600 s=4921800 w=591500 e=596300
d.redraw

g.region zoom=fields
d.redraw

So 'g.region zoom=' can be used to zoom in on raster features, which
may be a more general tool than a shrinking version of rast=.

Now what does 'g.region align=' do?

Hamish