[GRASS-dev] debugging nviz with TclTk 8.5 aqua

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed Jul 23 23:41:18 EDT 2008

On Jul 23, 2008, at 9:47 PM, Michael Barton wrote:

> This is pretty cool.
>
> The start of this thread was the issue that to compile the new
> wxPython nviz, we need to have native OGL, without windows. So I'll
> try to see if I can replicate this.

Now that it looks like it works in 8.4, what do you think about trying
it in 8.5 where some of the visual issues have been resolved? Would
this be difficult? NVIZ might not work, but it could be worth a try to
see.

Sorry, that *was* tcltk 8.5 aqua - 8.5.3.  I did get errors in the
python stuff that I didn't look at, since I was focused on tcl nviz.

On Jul 23, 2008, at 9:52 PM, Michael Barton wrote:

> On Jul 23, 2008, at 5:40 PM, William Kyngesburye wrote:
>
>> otool -L /usr/local/lib/libtk8.4.dylib
>>
>> (or 8.5 if they are 8.5)
>>
>> This will tell you if it's linked to X11.
>
> cmb-MBP-2:grass7_src cmbarton$ otool -L /usr/local/lib/libtk8.4.dylib
> /usr/local/lib/libtk8.4.dylib:
> 	/usr/local/lib/libtk8.4.dylib (compatibility version 8.4.0, current
> version 8.4.14)
> 	/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
> version 88.3.3)
> 	/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.6.dylib (compatibility version 6.2.0, current
> version 6.2.0)
> 	/usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
> version 1.0.0)
> cmb-MBP-2:grass7_src cmbarton$
>
> I am thinking this means that this version of the libraries are
> linked to x11

Is this one your X11 tcltk, or is that in /usr/local/tcltk?

If you don't know where this one came from, I'd say delete it.  Just
to make sure - the tcltk framework in /Library/Frameworks is 8.5, right?

Here's what you should have with the system framework, the extra 8.5
framework, and the X11 build (with my suggested isolated install):

System:

/System/Library/Frameworks/Tcl and Tk .framework
/usr/bin/
     tclsh8.4
     wish8.4
/usr/include
     tcl*.h symlinks to system fw
     tk*.h symlinks to system fw
/usr/lib
     libtcl symlink to system fw
     libtk symlink to system fw
     tclconfig.sh symlink to system fw
     tkconfig.sh symlink to system fw
/usr/share/man/*
     tcltk man pages

8.5 aqua framework:
     no symlinks in /usr/local lib or include

/Library/Frameworks/Tcl and Tk .framework/Versions/8.5
/usr/local/bin/
     tclsh8.5
     wish8.5
/usr/local/man/*
     tcltk man pages

8.4 X11:

/usr/local/tcltk
     everything here

Any extra tclsh8.4, wish8.4, includes and libs in /usr/local subdirs
are extra baggage that will confuse compilation.

SO, here's what I did:

1. start with new tcltk 8.5 source

tcl8.5.3/unix:
./configure --enable-framework --enable-threads
make
sudo make install

tk8.5.3/unix:
./configure --enable-framework --enable-threads --enable-aqua
make
sudo make install

2. GRASS trunk

for the opengl/tcltk/python configure flags:

--without-x --without-motif --without-glw --with-opengl=aqua --with-
python --with-wxwidgets=/usr/bin/wx-config --with-tcltk --with-tcltk-
includes="/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Headers /Library/
Frameworks/Tk.framework/Headers /Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/
PrivateHeaders"

after configure, *before* make, edit platform.make as I mentioned
previously:

TCLTKLIBS = -framework Tcl -framework Tk

also in Terminal:

export TCLTKVER="8.5"
export TCLTK_INTERNAL=

and make!

> It pretty much worked. BUT the weird thing was that the main GUI was
> in tcltk x11 and only nviz was in tcltk aqua. Most stuff worked.
> Font setting did not work. When I tried to add a new raster surface
> from within NVIZ, it crashed.

Ah, I didn't try the GUI, or adding another raster...

Hmm, GUI doesn't start: "unable to execute command".  Maybe the OSX
startup didn't get the right setting for wish.  I'll look into that.

...Adding a new raster worked for me.  Fonts seem to work.

Other problems though - weird flashing as I scroll the panel pane,
some popup menus in the panels pane wouldn't stay open (maybe
something to do with popup tips)

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

First Pogril: Why is life like sticking your head in a bucket filled
with hyena offal?
Second Pogril: I don't know.  Why IS life like sticking your head in a
bucket filled with hyena offal?
First Pogril: I don't know either.  Wretched, isn't it?

-HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy