[GRASS-dev] Porting d.* to native Win32

benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de
Sun Mar 9 07:32:59 EDT 2008

Dear all,

I would like to look into supporting d.mon and friends under native Win.

As far as I understand, we need two things:

1. A native Windows graphics device, so we won't need an X Server
for the graphics output.

2. A BSD style sockets interface, so the d.* commands can communicate
with the graphics device.

Now, as far as I understand, point (1) has been taken care of via the W11
driver which is already in the current GRASS code base (?)

That would leave the sockets problem.

I am not 100% sure about this, but it seems all we need is to adapt the
code for native win, so that the Windows sockets interface will be used for
that platform?
Its specifications seem to indicate that WinSocks can handle BSD style
sockets as well: http://tangentsoft.net/wskfaq/general.html.

Or do we need a more complex compatibility layer, such as provided by
the Mozilla cross platform SDK:
http://www.xulplanet.com/tutorials/mozsdk/sockets.php ???

If anyone could cut out the work that needs to be done more precisely
for me, I would like to give it a try ...

Best,

Benjamin