[GRASS-dev] Google Summer of Code 2008

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Thu Mar 13 06:59:21 EDT 2008

On 11/03/08 16:52, Wolf Bergenheim wrote:
> On 03/09/2008 11:09 AM, benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> just some thought on the SoC project(s)

>>> I don't quite understand what you mean by map symbol. Automatic
>>> placement for legends, north arrows, and scale bars? (Seems reasonable,
>>> even if I'm not sure I'd ever use it personally)
>>>
>>> Or for 'd.vect type=point icon=symbol_class/symbol_name'? (I don't
>>> think we should be perturbing spatially referenced markers)
>>
>> If this is just about feature labeling: I believe the people at
>> www.qgis.org have a similar SoC project in mind, so it might be possible
>> to cooperate with them on the basic collision detection algorithm(s).
>
> Point-feature labeling with icons. I'm working on an automatic labeling
> module for GRASS whenever I have a few minutes to spare (unfortunately
> not as many minutes, nor often enough.. *sigh*) Hmm there might be some
> avenue of cooperation with qgis here. Is there anything in qgis that
> needs support in the GRASS side?

>>> it would be good to write down exactly which modules are involved.
>>> "all" will not be appropriate.
>>>
>>> I see this more of a chore than an interesting new project challenge.
>>
>> Unless it also involves getting basic 3D topology into the GRASS
>> vector kernel: "point in sphere", some 3D object intersections,
>> voxel<->3D vector would all be challenging (especially if done
>> efficiently) things and VERY useful to future development of 3D
>> functionality in GRASS.
>
> I agree :) We'd need someone with strong 3d skills to help mentor the 3d
> part.

>>> how does this releate to the new thematic tools?
>>
>> This could go together with a little C library that implements things
>> such as "natural breaks" and others which could then also be used
>> by r.reclass, v.reclass and possibly other modules that need to break
>> number ranges into discrete classes.
>
> Exactly! :)

cf http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/lib/arraystats
If someone has a nice implementation of the natural breaks algorithm, I
would be very happy to add that (the discont algorithm gives similar
results).

And yes, I do think that a graphical colour and interval selection tool
could interact with the thematic modules (currently only d.thematic.area
- http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/display/d.thematic.area).

Moritz