[GRASS-dev] GRASS 7 development started

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed May 28 11:55:45 EDT 2008

Glynn Clements wrote:

> > Today the development of GRASS 6.4 has been moved out into
> > an own development branch. SVN trunk is now dedicated to GRASS 7
> > development which includes major refactoring of the code and
> > improvements to data formats etc.
>
> Can we finalise the coding style, so that we can apply it?
>
> This should be done before we start making substantial changes. Once
> the code has been re-formatted, it will become much harder to compare
> "before" and "after" versions, as any such diff will be dominated by
> the formatting changes.
>
> My personal preference is:
>
> indent -bad -bap -bbb -bl -bli0 -bls -cli0 -cs -fc1 -hnl -i4 -l79 \
>        -nbbo -nbc -nbfda -nbfde -ncdb -ncdw -nce -nfca -npcs -nprs \
>        -npsl -nsc -nsob -saf -sai -saw -sbi0 -ss -ts8 -ut
>
> Descriptions of the above options are given below, although it may be
> more clear to just apply the above command to a bunch of files and
> look at them.
>
> Others will presumably have different preferences; in which case
> please express them sooner rather than later.

Summary of the discussion:

I initially supported -cs (space after cast), but two people (Hamish,
Paul) opposed it, and I don't really care all that much, so -cs goes.

Two people (myself, Paul) supported -sai/-saf/-saw (space after
if/for/while, before the opening parenthesis for the control
expression), while one (Hamish) opposed it, so keep those.

[BTW, it appears that a space after "switch" is compulsory; there
doesn't appear to be a specific switch to turn it off, and -nsai,
-nsaf, and -nsaw have no effect.]

Two people (myself, Paul) supported -bl (opening brace on line after
if/for/while), while two (Hamish, Ivan) favoured -br (opening brace on
same line). Does anyone want to cast the deciding vote here?