[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-SVN] r38872 - grass/trunk

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Aug 27 09:11:42 EDT 2009

Hamish wrote:

> in related issues swig/python/ still fails to build due to too-old(?)
> swig ver 1.3.29, but the ./configure check just checks for the presence
> of /usr/bin/swig; it doesn't test if that contains what we need.
> It would be nice if it could be made to work with older versions of swig
> again, & if not, at least the ./configure script should throw an error
> when --with-python is given instead of doing what it does now & fail at
> compile-time.

AFAIK, that version with SWIG will work with older versions of Python.
The core problem is that your distro ships a version of of SWIG which
isn't compatible with their version of Python (or have you upgraded
Python manually?).

A configure check would need to use SWIG to generate a Python wrapper,
then try to compile it.