[GRASS-dev] Issues of 6.5 build on WinXP

Jan Tošovský j.tosovsky at tiscali.cz
Wed Dec 30 01:43:38 EST 2009

> > Tried that. It doesn't work for me, although I don't get the same
> > error. As soon as I have typed the map name (and before I
> have pressed
> > "OK"), the GUI hangs and has to be forcibly terminated.
> >
> > Oh, and I get exactly the same behaviour with 7.0 on Linux. Raster
> > maps work fine on both Linux and Windows; it only happens
> for vectors.
> >
> > This seems to be related to the auto-completion "enhancements" (the
> > fact that it happens as soon as the text field contains a valid map
> > name is a big clue). This needs to be completely reworked
> or, failing
> > that, removed.
> >
> > Apart from anything else, it should not be running commands
> after each
> > key press; this is just far too slow, particularly on Windows
> > (although it's still noticable on Linux).
>
> Could you clarify what it is you are referring to about
> autocompletion? Are you talking about the command console or
> the layer manager? I updated 24 December and all is working
> well--but I haven't compiled in the past few days.
>
> If the command console is broken, it is something changed
> since 24 Dec. As written at that time, no command is supposed
> to run until you press return. No command is supposed to run
> after each keypress. Keypresses are trapped and tested to see
> if it is one of a 4 that call autocomplete or call tips (".",
> "=", <tab>, <ctrl-space>), but that is all. All other
> keypresses pass on through. Also, I only committed the
> command console updates to 6.5 and did not backport to 7,
> wanting to wait for some testing.

The first my build ever was made with revision 40102 (before Dec, 24) and it
was broken already. I work in GUI only. While in wxPython it is problematic,
in Tcl/Tk placing a new vector layer is Ok. I've though that an error
message from the previous post may help. There is mentioned the exact line
number...

I've tried to reproduce all the behaviour with the current build (svn rev.
40145), but that error message is not, unfortunately, recorded in the
command tab...

You can see a short movie covering:
- adding a raster map
- adding a vector map
- an empty command window even if an error has occurred.
- an encoding issue (in the raster map properties dialog)
http://www.screencast.com/t/MTBmMDIwODk

Jan