[GRASS-dev] ps3.map: join two rasters

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 17 23:41:53 EST 2009

Glynn wrote:
> I'm assuming that ps3.map shares a great deal of code with ps.map. If
> you make it a separate module, then any bugfixes or other changes made
> to ps.map would probably also need to be made to ps3.map.

(which history shows never gets done completely leading to a divergent
mess)

> > I prefer rename this module as ps3.map because I try update poscript
> > code (many responsabilities has the ps code now) to level 3
> (I have in mind smoothing gradientes and this is only in PS3).
>
> The PostScript level should be decided via a program
> option, not through a separate program.

e.g. in d.out.file (grass 6) there is a ps_level=1-3 option which limits
functionality.

> Personally, I suggest creating an "enhancement" ticket in Trac for
> ps3.map, creating a diff between ps3.map and the corresponding version
> of ps.map, and attaching the diff to the ticket.

for me, the easiest would be 1 patch per ticket per item, ie split into
self-contained bite sized pieces. e.g. 1 ticket/patch for the RGBing of
colors. that way I can apply the straight forward paches quickly, and so
the more complicated things are not cluttered by a mix of changes in a 50k
uber-patch which I am likely to ignore until a big chuck of time opens
(probably a rather long time).

all this trouble to avoid clones & stray code is because there is only
a handful of us to maintain about a million lines of code. so we have to
be very efficient & disciplined in order to keep from being completely
overwhelmed by it.

thanks,
Hamsih