[GRASS-dev] database driver errors from wish tcltk gui on mac - more info

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Mar 16 01:45:56 EDT 2009

On Mar 15, 2009, at 7:48 PM, Michael Barton wrote:

> On Mar 15, 2009, at 7:25 PM, William Kyngesburye wrote:
>
>> Start GRASS with the tcltk GUI as the default (g.gisenv
>> set=GRASS_GUI=tcltk if it doesn't, and start GRASS again).  Select
>> a mapset (or drag-n-drop a mapset to start GRASS).
>>
>> Add a vector to the map.
>>
>> Down at the bottom of the vector properties pane, click the "Show
>> attribute data" button.
>>
>> error
>>

>> I also tried labelling a point vector (bugsites in spearfish) with
>> one of its attributes, and that works.
>
> OK. I CAN duplicate this weird problem. Only with the autogui
> startup. It gives a dbmi protocol error
>
> db.select table=archsites database=/Users/Shared/grassdata/
> Spearfish60_test/PERMANENT/dbf/ driver=dbf
> Bad file descriptor: dup r
> dbmi: Protocol error
> Unable to start driver <dbf>
>
> This command doesn't via tcltk, though it does work from the terminal.
>
> If you start up tcltk via g.gui tcltk&, it works fine.
>
> Anyone out there -- What happens in startup AFTER the TclTk gui is
> launched that might make db.select work with the following?
>
> start up GRASS in TclTk GUI mode
> db.select does NOT work (error above)
> quit Tcltk
> g.gui tcltk&
> db.select DOES work
>
> Michael

Further tests. All of the db.* info modules except db.tables fail
(with the same error, above) from TclTk when it is first started from
Init.sh. This includes:
db.tables
db.describe
db.select
db.columns

All of these work when the tcltk GUI is started from g.gui

Really weird. What is "dup r"???

Michael