[GRASS-dev] r.watershed failing: seg fault and exit code 35584

Chris Carleton w_chris_carleton at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 23 13:10:40 EDT 2010

Hi folks,

I have a quick troubleshooting question. I'm trying to run r.watershed to
extract stream segments and I'm receiving the following error;

GRASS 6.4.0RC5+39438 (ccarleton.minanha.utm):~ > r.watershed
elevation=aster_srtm_dem_filled at CloudRemoval threshold=10
stream=aster_srtm_stream memory=300
SECTION 1a (of 5): Initiating Memory.
SECTION 1b (of 5): Determining Offmap Flow.
 100%
SECTION 2: A * Search.
 100%
SECTION 3: Accumulating Surface Flow.
 100%
SECTION 4: Watershed determination.
Segmentation fault
WARNING: Subprocess failed with exit code 35584
WARNING: category information for [aster_srtm_stream] in [geophys] missing
or invalid

I haven't been able to find something in the mailing lists about this, but
if you know of somewhere that I can find a solution I'd appreciate the link.
I'm running GRASS 6.4 RC5 on Ubuntu LTS 10.04 with a Dell Precision T7500
Workstation. The region settings are as follows;

projection: 1 (UTM)
zone:       16
datum:      wgs84
ellipsoid:  wgs84
north:      1942292.77488498
south:      1798172.56898554
west:       174812.49733566
east:       382055.4579663
nsres:      15.00002143
ewres:      15.00021429
rows:       9608
cols:       13816
cells:      132744128

The actual DEM is much smaller than this (a composite ASTER/SRTM DEM) and I
have 12GB of memory so I'd be surprised if this was a memory problem. Before
I start working with GDB or other in-depth debugging I was hoping someone
would have a short answer for this already. Thanks for your time,

Chris