[GRASS-dev] parsing file paths in GRASS Scripts- Windows OS

katrin eggert katrineggert1980 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 05:51:22 EDT 2011

Hello Glynn
First of all, thank you for replying to my emails...

> Python accepts '\'. GRASS typically just passes filenames to the OS,
> and Windows accepts '\'.

Yes you are right. But for instance, if I try to run  r.out.xyz GRASS script
(included in WiNGRASS standalone versions) like this: r.out.xyz
input=1990 at climate output=C:\delete\ai.txt:
- In bash Script it does not place it in c:\delete\ folder but it places in
c:\ a file named deleteai.txt. This means that it's ignoring the '\'
- Then, I tried with r.out.xyz Python script adn the same happened.

This happens not only with r.out.xyz but also with other Bash and Python
GRASS scripts.THe problem is that, when a user places a path to a file in
Scripts GUI (in Windows OS), when it presses the run, "inside the script",
the variable "loses" the '\'.

THis is not specific this is for all GRASS Scripts (Bash and Python) that
uses filepaths in Windows OS.
Or am I analyzing this wrong?

Katrin Eggert