[GRASS-dev] text interface for GRASS70

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Mar 21 22:38:54 EDT 2011

Pierre Roudier wrote:

> I just compiled grass7-svn (revision 45721) on my server, but I can't
> initiate any mapset:
>
> pierrer at grass:~$ grass70 -text
> Unable to start GRASS. You can:
>  - Launch GRASS with '-gui' switch (`grass70 -gui`)
>  - Create manually GISRC file (/home/pierrer/.grass7/rc)
>  - Launch GRASS with path to the location/mapset as an argument
> (`grass70 /path/to/location/mapset`)
>
> It is a remote machine without X, so I can't really use the graphical
> way. For the other options, I understand I should have a location +
> mapset already on my server (which is not the case).
>
> I could certainly copy one of my local projects on the server bu I was
> wondering if that was a bug of the text interface. I understand this
> is related to this bug:
> http://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/GRASS-7-CLI-startup-td5923640.html

7.0 doesn't have a curses version of database/location/mapset dialog
(or of anything else; all curses-based functionality has been
removed).

As suggested in the above message, specifying the path to an existing
mapset directory as an argument should work (but probably doesn't get
much testing). The "demolocation" location should be installed under
$GISBASE; you may be able to use that, provided that you own the
PERMANENT mapset. Once you have started GRASS, you can create a new
database/location/mapset with "g.mapset -c ...".

If you don't own the demolocation/PERMANENT directory, you can create
a copy which you do own with e.g. "cp -r ..." and use that.

Ultimately, we really need to add e.g. a "-c" flag to the grass70
script to allow the creation of a new database/location/mapset on
systems where the GUI cannot be used.