[GRASS-dev] GUI for ps.map

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 23 17:43:22 EDT 2011

Hi,

I have a chance to try out the new ps.map wx front end and you
are to be congratulated -- it is very nice! Great progress.

some notes:

we should note in README that it only builds in trunk (due to
Other.make in Makefiles). [the solution IMO is not to backport
entire new build system to 6.5, rather if test -e $file ; then ..
else ... fi during its life in the grass6 addons repo; or move
it into the grass7 addons repo]

scale bar:
 * Style:Type: 'fancy' and 'simple' words don't need to be there. img is enough.

output to instruction file:
 * I use a .psmap extension for those.
 * "output to text" is a bit ambiguous. perhaps "Save As..." or
   "output instruction file" instead?
 * #g.region comment at top of file is a nice touch, consider
   adding another comment line with time+date and another with
   location/mapset
 * only need to output map position to 0.001" not %.11f (beyond
   size of molecules!)
 * maybe match R:G:B to standard named colors and substitute name
   if matched
 * I usually indent the "end"s so only the main instruction is at
   the left. Just a matter of style but it makes the final "end"
   easier to check.

wiki todo:
  * map scale for ll projections (map window)
what does that entail?

(n.b. map scale + plate carree is fundamentally not possible,
regardless of [totally broken] widespread use in other software.
Also map scale + EPS is fundamentally not possible.
Map scale on computer screen is fundamentally possible, but
practically very difficult and requires an end-user per-monitor
calibration. until that exists it should not be shipped in GUIs.
It only works in ps.map+PostScript because we know the exact
final dimensions of the plot + printed paper)

fyi I plan to do a minimal backport of the -b flag to 6.4.2svn
once 6.4.1 is released.

As always, if anyone finds a problem in the ps.map backend, please
let me know/file a bug, as there is a good chance that I've
already half fixed it, have an plan how to fix it, or know why
it can't be fixed. And please to avoid wasted effort and bad
feelings all around, do drop me an email before any structural/
more-than-trivial changes to the backend.

thanks,
Hamish