[GRASS-dev] r.digit

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 07:24:31 PST 2012

On 16 December 2012 15:34, Mohammed Rashad <mohammedrashadkm at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am still confused. my problem :)
> so clear me up. wxIClass has a digitizer and r.digit is useless?

wxIClass uses wxDigitizer (not sure how we call this component). It is
the same digitizer which is used in Map Display Digitizer mode.

If I need a raster map, I can now use Map Display Digitizer and than
v.to.rast (e.g., till now this was the only way to obtain MASK
specified by hand).

wxIClass is different. It internally creates vector map and then it
creates on the fly something like a raster map. But this something is
not a real raster map. It is only a set of values obtained from raster
map which has the shape of the old vector areas. This functionality is
similar to v.to.rast and probably there is some duplication. (IMHO,
this should be generalized, merged with v.to.rast and become part of
the library, but that's another story.) Nevertheless, my point is that
wxIClass is not the tool for digitizing raster. It provides the same
functionality as Map Display Digitizer mode and moreover, it is not
able to export raster map now.

> Does r.digit needs to be ported or not?

Combination digitize vector + convert to raster is not able to allow
user to decide which particular cell should or should not be
digitized. So, the raster digitizer is needed for this. But I don't
know if this is a frequent case. I don't know r.digit but it was the
same as digitizer + v.to.rast according to module description.

Can d.rast.edit help us with the problem above?

Vaclav