[GRASS-dev] r.digit

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 16 19:36:40 PST 2012

Mohammed:
> > Does r.digit needs to be ported or not?

Vaclav:
> Combination digitize vector + convert to raster is not able
> to allow user to decide which particular cell should or should
> not be digitized. So, the raster digitizer is needed for this.
> But I don't know if this is a frequent case. I don't know
> r.digit but it was the same as digitizer + v.to.rast according
> to module description.

Hi guys,

G6's r.digit is a front end to the r.in.poly module, which takes
an input not dissimilar to the v.in.ascii standard grass format.
An old idea was to just reuse the wx digitizer tool but instead
of writing to grass vector ascii format + v.in.ascii change
things a little and save to r.in.poly ascii format instead.
Since then the wx digitizer got way more advanced, I'm not sure
if it is possible any more to just have an extra Save As.. in
the file menu/toolbar. (I hope it is)

for my 2c it's quite nice to have a dedicated raster digitizing
option, instead of needing an extra v.in.ascii -> v.to.rast
step in your workflow. That doesn't rule out a wrapper script
to hide the vector part of it, but a dedicated r.in.poly mode
would both be more efficient and perhaps less prone to loss in
fidelity.

thanks,
Hamish