[GRASS-dev] Gsoc: Add OpenMP parallelization to some raster modules

matteo poletti pollo1_91 at yahoo.it
Wed Mar 28 11:42:43 EDT 2012

> Da: Markus Metz <markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com>
> Maybe parallelization support for some
> raster modules is not really suitable for a GSoC project?

Since it is my first experience with Google Summer of Code I don't know if it could be a suitable project.

 wanted to apply with Grass because I started using it about three
months ago and I found it very interesting. I thought that it would be
great if I could contribute in such a good project that have helped me
so many times.

So I went trough the ideas page and I choosed the
project about OpenMP because I haven't got good knowlodge about spatial
data and it seemed to me that it was much related with Computer Science
abilities.

Which one could be a suitable project instead of OpenMP? Consider that I'm a beginner with GIS.

Thank you,
Matteo

P.S.
 I have used C-CUDA so maybe it could be interesting to make some
modules running on GPU and to compare the performances. Maybe it should
be done for r.mapcalc? Or it doesn't make sense?