[GRASS-dev] t*. modules

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 11:44:43 EDT 2012

Hi,

2011/10/20 Sören Gebbert <soerengebbert at googlemail.com>:
> with the temporal extension i introduce new datatypes to grass7:
>
> * space time raster  (tr.*) datasets
> * space time vector  (tv.*) datasets
> * space time raster3d  (tr3.*) datasets
> and in the future
> * space time dataset collections (?)
>
> The purpose of the t.* modules is to create, remove, list, support new
> datatypes and check the temporal topology. Modules with prefix t.*
> support identical functionalities for all new datatypes.  In the long
> term the list and remove functionality can be integrated into the
> general modules, but not support and topology.
>
> So i would like to keep t.*, tr.*, tv.* and tr3.* as prefix to simply
> identify the new datatypes, extending the common r.*, v.* and r3.*
> prefixes with a "t".

I would like to open the discussion about this topic again, before
tgis extension will be announced and users will start to use it. I
would suggest to use only *one* prefix (`t.`) for TGIS. To extend
current list of prefixes (r., v., etc) with so many new prefixes which
are related to the one topic (in this case temporal GIS) is not good
idea I think. Moreover it will make user manual less readable [1] -
see t.*, tr.* and so on. I would propose rename eg `tr.` to `t.rast.`,
and so on.

Martin

[1] http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/html70_user/full_index.html