[GRASS-dev] G7: how to get rid of multiple listing of identical map names?

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Sep 8 15:06:00 PDT 2014

Glynn Clements wrote:

> But there's a rather more fundamental issue here: if G_find_file() is
> called for an element which isn't guaranteed to exist for every map,
> it will "find" the first map which actually contains that element,
> which isn't necessarily the same map as for the other elements.
>
> This doesn't affect the primary components of a map, because
> Rast_open_old() first determines the mapset, then passes an explicit
> mapset to the various G_open_* functions.
>
> So, I think that G_find_file() etc should only be used in "find mode"
> (with an empty mapset) for the "primary" element of a map (i.e.
> "cellhd" for raster maps, the map directory for vector maps). Other
> components should be located by first finding the mapset, then using
> the mapset to locate any additional components.

Fixed (hopefully) in r61840.

This change also reduces the number of warnings; a warning is only
generated when searching for the primary element.

Given that it's a fairly fundamental change, it should be tested.

OTOH, given that it fixes a fairly fundamental bug, it should go into
at least one beta prior to any final release.