[GRASS-dev] GSoC 2015: Mapnik rendering engine for GRASS GIS

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 01:47:25 PDT 2015

Hi Adam,

> I study geoinformatics at CTU in Prague and I get interested in some of your
> topics for GSoC. I have basic knowledge in C/C++ and I've already written
> some code in Python for GRASS Add-Ons.
> I'd like to focus on Mapnik engine, actual display drivers and graphic
> outputs.

great! The proposal on the wiki [1] is somehow focused on writing
alternative rendering engine for ps.map [2] which is currently used by
wxGUI Cartographic Composer [3]. It would be probably a good idea also
to investigate whether would be possible to write a new GRASS display
driver [4] based on Mapnik libraries. In other words replacement for
Cairo [5] driver focused on cartographic outputs. Such driver would be
written in C and would require C-API for Mapnik, I found something on
[6], but I am not sure if it would be possible to use.

Martin

[1] http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2015#MapnikrenderingengineforGRASSGIS
[2] http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/ps.map.html
[3] http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/WxGUI_Cartographic_Composer