[GRASS-dev] GSoC 2015: Mapnik rendering engine for GRASS GIS

Luca Delucchi lucadeluge at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 01:56:52 PDT 2015

On 10 March 2015 at 09:47, Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Adam,

Hi Martin,

>> I study geoinformatics at CTU in Prague and I get interested in some of your
>> topics for GSoC. I have basic knowledge in C/C++ and I've already written
>> some code in Python for GRASS Add-Ons.
>> I'd like to focus on Mapnik engine, actual display drivers and graphic
>> outputs.
>
> great! The proposal on the wiki [1] is somehow focused on writing
> alternative rendering engine for ps.map [2] which is currently used by
> wxGUI Cartographic Composer [3]. It would be probably a good idea also
> to investigate whether would be possible to write a new GRASS display
> driver [4] based on Mapnik libraries. In other words replacement for
> Cairo [5] driver focused on cartographic outputs. Such driver would be
> written in C and would require C-API for Mapnik, I found something on
> [6], but I am not sure if it would be possible to use.

Good Idea to create a new driver based on Mapnik ;-)
I never heard about the C-API for Mapnik but they should be useful. I
could ask to Dane what is the stability of the C-API.
Is there any way to write the driver in Python (the Mapnik Python API
are probably more stable, used and tested than the C-API)

--
ciao
Luca

http://gis.cri.fmach.it/delucchi/