[GRASS-dev] v.in.lidar: store return or class as category

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 10:49:45 PDT 2015

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 9:52 AM, Moritz Lennert <
mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:

> On 29/09/15 15:26, Newcomb, Doug wrote:
>
>> As an example, the new North Carolina data set ( 2014 +) , the LiDAR
>> classes above 12 are being used for roads, (13) and bridges (14) .
>>

> Maybe if we go for 30 or 31 we have less chance to step on other
> classifications' toes. But the risk remains, so maybe the idea of
> regrouping 0 and 1 as 1 is less error prone...

0+1 > 1 sounds like a good idea and reasonable default.

I will actually this again with color. It seems reasonable to store the
color for vector points (if there is a lot of them) as categories. But of
course the range is 0-255, we can surely move it to 1-256 but it little bit
inconsistent with everything else in world regarding the RGB color handling.