[GRASS-dev] G6 manual pages: text box added to make users aware of G7

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 05:53:40 PDT 2016

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 5:54 AM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:

> > I am not a developer, just something I wondered; why not having one
> > permanent address for the manual, which always reflects the latest stable
> > release, and if needed, from there add links to older versions? Obviously
> > not a solution for now, but this would lead, in the future, to more
> stable
> > and permanent rankings for the most up-to-date version.
>
> +1
>
> Perhaps simply this:
>
> https://grass.osgeo.org/manuals/
> https://grass.osgeo.org/manuals/addons
>
> I could easily add that in the CMS and make it point to the current
> stable version.

If we can maintain the URL in the long term that would be great.

BTW, surprised to see "keywords index" as part of the "manuals" page.
Unfortunately the links are broken:

https://grass.osgeo.org/v.hull.html

Anyway, the above solution is better if we can have link like:

https://grass.osgeo.org/manuals/v.hull.html
https://grass.osgeo.org/manuals/v.hull

There is potential conflict of:

https://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/grass7.html
https://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/grass7
https://grass.osgeo.org/grass70
https://grass.osgeo.org/manuals/grass7.html
https://grass.osgeo.org/manuals/grass7

but if the command will be `grass7` (or even `grass`) and the version
always two numbers and the order is not changed to "manuals/grass70", no
conflict will happen.

Vaclav