[GRASS-dev] External providers in QGIS

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Thu Feb 8 06:08:25 PST 2018

Dear all,

a case somewhat relevant to the discussion.

I am tasked by a client to work with and on some existing scripts that derive
maps related to recreational areas. These scripts use GRASS GIS.
Hence, it is naturally to shape a GRASS GIS Add-on.

The add-on will eventually be of interest for many, and mostly non
GIS-experts.  The whole idea was to expose the Add-on to QGIS and
eventually train and practice with it persons who are not experienced
GIS users.

Both QGIS and GRASS GIS, in this case, and the whole OSGeo ecosystem,
have things to gain, while offering small tools that interest many.

I guess, there are numerous cases like this one. What would,
effectively, mean a removal of external providers (in this case GRASS
GIS)?

Among the, indeed, many algorithms that might appear, or be
overwhelming, there are always here and there tools that make life
easier for people who don't have the time or the need to dive deep into
special concepts of GRASS, SAGA or OTB.  And QGIS is for the the
reference.

Thanks, Nikos

* Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> [2018-02-06 18:57:17 +0100]: