[QGIS-Developer] Keeping OTB algorithm in qgis processing

Rashad Kanavath mohammedrashadkm at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 01:40:37 PST 2018

Hello all,

I would like to check the pros and cons of keeping otb in qgis processing
like others.  SAGA, GRASS, GDAL etc..

one or only argument, I found interesting is the fixes to otb plugin can be
done independent of qgis release and versions. But how does other
algorithms won't get this cool feature and only OTB?

One of the reasons why otb plugin got outdated was the separate maintenance
issue. otb team were not involved in maintaining this code
(processing/algs/otb) on a regular basis. And I don't think putting work on
otb team is interesting here. The plugin code works closely with qgis
processing with some specifics for running otb. So someone from otb team
needs to track changes in qgis code to keep users from running into
problems (installation or running of plugins itself)

For one thing, this didn't worked out well in the past. All  algorithms now
in qgis master is updated for qgis3 except for OTB because it's an external
plugin. Well, it not like other plugins it depends on qgis processing
plugin.

And due to this change code got left out by both teams. so the argument
that updates are independently managed is easy didn't worked here. the
problem is solved by creation of another one.

The old code has lot of hack among other issues. So fixing that is a
priority for otb. By that I mean no specific hacks and easy to maintain
like SAGA, GRASS etc...
With that change coming, are you folks interested to put back otb algo into
processing/algs/otb.?

   Rashad