[GRASS-dev] Official GRASS conda recipes?

Laurent C. lrntct at gmail.com
Sun May 31 07:10:01 PDT 2020

Hi,

I take the opportunity of the recent post from Michael Barton about
compiling GRASS in a conda environment on OSX.

GRASS provides many python tools and API. Many python developers,
especially in the scientific community, use conda to manage packages and
environments.

It would be great if there was a set a consistent, up-to-date conda GRASS
packages on conda-forge for the 3 main OS.
Looking at the amount of recipes already existing, it seems that there is
an interest:
https://anaconda.org/search?q=grass
https://github.com/search?q=grass+conda

Unfortunately, none of them are up-to-date, some are for Linux, other for
OSX, none for Windows, and none are on conda-forge. All of them rely on a
good amount of patches to allow the compilation.
All the main GRASS dependencies are already in conda-forge, so the main
issue would be to have GRASS compile correctly.

I have a tiny experience in building binary conda package (
https://github.com/lrntct/swashes-conda), but I lack the understanding of
the GRASS building process to patcg and fix the build on different
platforms.

If there is interest from the development team, I would be glad to help.

Cheers,
Laurent