[GRASS-dev] Should we use GitHub Discussions?

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 19:10:09 PST 2021

On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 3:59 PM Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 9:50 PM Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 4:01 AM Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
> >>
> > If we had a presence on StackExchange like QGIS has, we wouldn't be
> having a discussion about GitHub Discussions in the first place.
>
> Try this:
>
> https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/tagged/grass
> --> 2,027 questions

I wish this would indicate a healthy community and I wish we would have one
there. However, with a small sample from questions with recent activity, I
see only a couple of users answering (2 or so; BTW thanks! you know who you
are) and from the 2027 questions tagged grass, there are "475 questions
with no upvoted or accepted answers" [1]. This does not sound like what is
in the original Nyall's email against QGIS using GitHub Discussions which
says "there's LOTS of informed users answering all the QGIS questions on
gis.stackexchange." [2]. Perhaps even more telling is that no one except
myself [3] mentioned GIS StackExchange in this discussion up until now.

[1] https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/tagged/grass?tab=Unanswered
[2] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-psc/2021-February/009244.html
[3] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2021-January/094867.html