[GRASS-dev] [GRASS-PSC] difficult to get GRASS source code package

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 09:37:31 PST 2022

Hi Michael,

This looks more like a grass-dev topic, than grass-psc. I'm adding
grass-dev, please remove grass-psc when (if) you reply.

I'll let others comment on the tarball and website and comment on the Git
and GitHub part. +1 for Nickals' answer.

Git is definitely a valid way of getting source code for a build and
perhaps a preferred one since there is all the extra metadata for files.
Maybe we should work on clarifying whether that's really the preferred way.

When using Git locally, you need to be careful if you are using your fork
or the upstream, OSGeo repo. If you do a new clone from GitHub, it should
be pretty clear what you used.

Clone by default gets the default branch which is main, so you need to
switch to another branch (`git switch` in modern Git, `git checkout` in old
Git):

git switch releasebranch_8_0
git switch --detach 8.0.0

git checkout releasebranch_8_0
git checkout 8.0.0

When we one does repetitive clones (e.g., in CI), you can do a shallow
clone with --branch (which works for tags too) to get just one given state
of the repo:

git clone --depth 1 --branch releasebranch_8_0
git clone --depth 1 --branch 8.0.0

When using GitHub, the link Download ZIP which is under the green Clone
button respects the current branch which you set using the combo-box at the
right side or using the "8 branches" link. You can get, e.g.,

https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/archive/refs/heads/releasebranch_8_0.zip

On top of what Nicklas said about the release, you can also use the "124
tags" link which takes you to an overview page with links for all tags
(==releases in our case).

https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/tags

Best,
Vaclav