[GRASS-dev] GRASS 8.0 support in GDAL and QGIS

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Fri Feb 25 06:06:35 PST 2022

On 2/25/22 14:20, Vaclav Petras wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2022 at 01:25, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:

>>> I vote yes. I think the reasons to do this are no longer valid. Doing it
>>> the standard way seems to me to be the best way forward. Any
>>> suggestions/PRs?
>>
>> Not using --prefix=/usr/lib will violate FHS, so not an option for the
>> Debian package.
>>

> Using --prefix now results in every file from GRASS being installed into
> --prefix, so I assume the current --prefix behavior is wrong from Debian
> perspective, yes? Any suggestions on correct behavior?

The 8.x prefix behavior is no different from 7.x.

If we want to stop using --prefix=/usr/lib and have FHS complianance
while also having the shared libraries in the default library search
path several changes in GRASS will be required.

The resulting structure should result in something like:

  /etc/grass                            configuration files
  /usr/bin                              executables
  /usr/lib                              shared libraries
  /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/grass  python package
  /usr/libexec/grass                    executable helpers
  /usr/share/grass                      architecture independent files
  /usr/share/man                        manual pages

This assumes that the grass shared libraries should not be considered
private which does seem to be the case with their use by libgdal-grass
being the exception.

Alternatively the GRASS executables need to have RPATH set, e.g. with:

  -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib/grass80/lib

To remove the need for changing the library search path. This is the
road of least resistance.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--