[GRASS-dev] no icons in the first toolbar Grass 8.2.2

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sun Apr 9 12:31:43 PDT 2023

Hi Lizardo,

On Sun, Apr 9, 2023 at 5:10 PM Lizardo Reyna via grass-dev
<grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've compiled Grass 8.2.2 in ubuntu 22.04 (two times), the first toolbar do not have icons, only the description appers. The console shows this:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-
> packages/wx/lib/agw/aui/auibar.py", line 3510, in OnPaint
>
> self._art.DrawButton(dc, self, item, item_rect)
>   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-
> packages/wx/lib/agw/aui/auibar.py", line 1008, in DrawButton
>
> bmp_rect, text_rect = self.GetToolsPosition(dc, item, rect)
>   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-
> packages/wx/lib/agw/aui/auibar.py", line 1508, in
> GetToolsPosition
>
> bmp_rect = wx.Rect(bmp_x, bmp_y, bmp_width, bmp_height)
> TypeError
> :
> Rect(): arguments did not match any overloaded call:
>   overload 1: too many arguments
>   overload 2: argument 1 has unexpected type 'float'
>   overload 3: argument 1 has unexpected type 'float'
>   overload 4: argument 1 has unexpected type 'float'
>   overload 5: argument 1 has unexpected type 'float'
>   overload 6: argument 1 has unexpected type 'float'
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-
> packages/wx/lib/agw/aui/auibar.py", line 3510, in OnPaint
[...]

You are hit by a bug in Ubuntu's wxpython4 package. Unlike e.g. Fedora
they didn't add missing backports of float -> integer fixes.

It was also discussed here:
https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/2019
https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/2078

We had the same in OSGeoLive, I have created a report with bugfixes
for Ubuntu here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wxpython4.0/+bug/2012205

These options I see:
- you install the patches offered in the bug report (not too difficult
but needs a bit of knowledge how to use `patch`)
- convince the Ubuntu packagers of wxpython4 to fix the bug using the
provided patch
- you try to install a more recent wxpython4 version.

Best,
Markus

--
Markus Neteler, PhD