[GRASS-dev] [release planning] GRASS GIS 8.3.0

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 11:10:39 PST 2023

On Tue, 21 Feb 2023 at 13:19, Veronica Andreo <veroandreo at gmail.com> wrote:

> El vie, 17 feb 2023 a las 15:25, Markus Neteler (<neteler at osgeo.org>)
> escribió:
>

>> Version scheme update: please note that we abandon the odd/even scheme
>> and go for semantic versioning, i.e. 8.3.x comes after the 8.2.x
>> series. See also the related RFC: Version Numbering
>> (https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/2357).
>>

> Just wondering.. Should we adopt an RFC that has not yet been merged nor
> approved via motion? There's a list of tasks in the PR that still seems
> incomplete and I see that Vashek moved the milestone of the RFC to 8.4...
> I'm not trying to delay the release -either it is called 8.3 or 8.4, it is
> overdue- but IMO we need to agree on the RFC, no? Shall I prepare a motion
> and we approve a version 1 of the Version Numbering RFC?

Ideally, yes, but practically we can follow it already. We agreed at the
PSC meeting that we want to follow it, although we did not vote on actually
approving it because it was not finished. We also don't have any formal
procedure for numbering except tradition. There were also no negative
comments for the PR in the PR itself. Hence, the RFC in the PR is the
closest thing to an official guidance we have.

We are using the yet-unmerged Python version RFC in a similar way.

The version numbering PR did not make it through my triage when I was
cleaning PRs and issues before the release because it did not pass my rule
"ready or important to have in the 8.3 code".

I still agree that it is a potentially big change for those who actually
followed the version numbering, but I hope if there is some criticism of
that, we would know already.

Vaclav