[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #3966: Batch job examples: add GRASS_PAGER=cat to avoid getting stuck expecting a terminal

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Wed Feb 22 09:28:55 PST 2023

#3966: Batch job examples: add GRASS_PAGER=cat to avoid getting stuck expecting a
terminal
--------------------------+---------------------------------
  Reporter:  jidanni      |      Owner:  grass-dev@…
      Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  new
 Component:  Docs         |    Version:  unspecified
Resolution:               |   Keywords:  exec batch grass.py
       CPU:  Unspecified  |   Platform:  Unspecified
--------------------------+---------------------------------
Comment (by wenzeslaus):

 I would even say a change in the source code is more appropriate if we
 understand the issue more, but I'm not able to reproduce this.

 The following ones behave as expected:

 {{{
 grass --tmp-location XY --exec g.list type=all
 nohup grass --tmp-location XY --exec g.list type=all
 true | (setsid grass --tmp-location XY --exec g.list type=all) 2>&1 | cat
 echo "grass --tmp-location XY --exec g.list type=all" > /tmp/test.sh
 nohup bash /tmp/test.sh
 }}}

 Only `bash /tmp/test.sh` will jump into an interactive pager which may be
 little unexpected, but I'm in an interactive terminal, so perhaps
 inconvenient, but not unexpected.

 I'm closing this and we can discuss this in a new issue on GitHub if
 needed.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/3966#comment:6>
GRASS GIS <https://grass.osgeo.org>