[GRASS-dev] GRASS Teams on GitHub

Huidae Cho grass4u at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 11:51:28 PST 2024

Ondrej,

I agree with you that there are too many teams for GRASS [1] and they
should be consolidated (or not, but at least moved) as child teams.

Do we still need these subversion teams?
* grass-subversion-committers
<https://github.com/orgs/OSGeo/teams/grass-subversion-committers> GRASS GIS
Subversion committers
* grass-addons-subversion-committers
<https://github.com/orgs/OSGeo/teams/grass-addons-subversion-committers> GRASS
GIS Addons Subversion committers

How is this team different from the above
grass-addons-subversion-committers?
* grass-addons-write
<https://github.com/orgs/OSGeo/teams/grass-addons-write> Maintainers of
tools in GRASS GIS Addons with write access to the repository

How are these three teams different?
* grass-admin <https://github.com/orgs/OSGeo/teams/grass-admin> GRASS GIS
repo administration team
* grass-maintain <https://github.com/orgs/OSGeo/teams/grass-maintain> GRASS
GIS repo settings maintenance team
* grass-write <https://github.com/orgs/OSGeo/teams/grass-write> Maintainers
of GRASS GIS with write access to the main repository

I think we need this team.
* grass-docker-homebrew-users
<https://github.com/orgs/OSGeo/teams/grass-docker-homebrew-users> Users for
automated dockerhub and homebrew builds

I believe we can consolidate these two teams.
* grass-promo-write
<https://github.com/orgs/OSGeo/teams/grass-promo-write> Contributors
to GRASS GIS promo repo with write access
* grass-website-write
<https://github.com/orgs/OSGeo/teams/grass-website-write> Maintainers of
GRASS GIS website

What about these two?
* grass-discussion-moderators
<https://github.com/orgs/OSGeo/teams/grass-discussion-moderators> Discussion
moderators with general Triage access
* grass-triage <https://github.com/orgs/OSGeo/teams/grass-triage> Contributors
with PR and issue triage power

Best,
Huidae

[1] https://github.com/orgs/OSGeo/teams

On Thu, Feb 22, 2024 at 1:35 AM Ondřej Pešek via grass-dev <
grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Sweet devs,
>
> Looking at the GitHub teams within the OSGeo organisation [1], it is
> impossible not to notice the fact that the GRASS people are very good
> in making themselves visible through visual weed infestation. On one
> side, it is nice to see GRASS all over the dance floor; on the other
> one, I don't find it particularly polite to storm the org and see that
> GRASS owns 11 OSGEO's teams out of 24 in the overview (11 out of 26 in
> total).
>
> Wouldn't it be better to follow the example of GDAL instead? Creating
> only one master team (grass) and then 11 child teams (grass-write,
> grass-addons-write, ...)? It would make the org team overview much
> cleaner. Also, you could see all grass child teams' members in one
> place.
>
> In the name of New GitHub Order,
> Ondrej
>
> PS: I also believe that we should reduce the number of GRASS teams and
> consolidate some (grass-addons-subversion-committers ->
> grass-addons-write) but I guess this is for another and much more
> contentious discussion.

Huidae Cho, Ph.D., GISP, /hidɛ <http://ipa-reader.xyz/?text=hid%C9%9B>
t͡ɕo/, 조희대, 曺喜大
GRASS GIS Developer