[GRASSGUI] GUI's existing or new one?

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Mon Jan 26 05:46:18 EST 2004

On Friday 23 January 2004 11:35, Sajith VK wrote:
> Hi,
>  I am using GRASS for a long, and now I think the mail
> draw back of grass is the lack of a good GUI. I found
> QGIS, Qt/GRASS, tkgrass etc etc but IMHO none of them are
> satisfactory. I offer my help for any of this projects
> or a compleetly new one. Can anyone suggest where should I
> contribute? Is any of the above mentioned projects are
> capable of growing into a full-featured GUI for grass?
>
> I am more comfortable with GTK and python, but other
> toolkits and languages wont be a problem. Any idea
> about OSSIM/GRASS bridge? Will it be suitable?
>

> Waiting for your comments.....

I am not sure if Qt/GRASS is still alive, at least it is not
much active and open. There are also technical problems,
Qt/GRASS is calling G_fatal_error, whic means exit().
In QGIS, error handling is better, I hope, GRASS++ uses
G_set_error_routine and it erro occures in GRASS libraries
GRASS++ methods throw exception.

There is not high traffic in the mailing list of QGIS, but that is because
developers use IRC, see http://mrcc.com/qgis/logs

Did you try to compile and run QGIS and Qt/GRASS?

Radim