[GRASSGUI] Re: need to decide on fix for map display toolbars

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Aug 16 01:38:36 EDT 2007

Greetings Martin,

On 8/15/07 4:43 AM, "Martin Landa" <landa.martin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> 2007/7/30, Michael Barton <michael.barton at asu.edu>:
>
> [BTW, sorry for the late answer, holidays...]
>
>>  Before we go much further with the digitization module, we need to decide
>> how to fix the invisible tool bar control bug.
>>
>>  You cannot see a control (e.g., combo box) that is not a button on an AUI
>> toolbar on a Mac. This is a known bug in wxPython and wxWidgets but it now
>> clear when or if it will be fixed.  This makes all digitization and any
>> other toolbar called from a combo box completely invisible and inaccessible.
>
> Right, on the other hand you can access digitization tool via pop-up
> menu, i.e. choose vector map layer; right mouse click; -> "Start
> editing".

This is good to know. I also did some experimentation and can replace the
combobox with a menu button like used on other menu bar items.

BUT, the same problem happens with the digitization menu because it uses the
map selection pulldown. So this means that we have to do something with map
selection or change the digit menu. It's a real pain, because I like what
you've done (what I can see from screenshots). But I don't see an easy way
around this for Macs.

>>  AFAICT, the only work arounds are: 1) change the tool bar so that it is not
>> AUI managed any more, 2 call different tool bars in another way, or 3)
>> switch to something like a button bar instead of a toolbar to manage the
>> buttons and other controls.
>>
>>  Do you have a preference as to how to go about this?
>
> Not sure now.

If we can figure out how it works, the button bar looks nice and may solve
things.

> BTW, the digitization tool is disabled now. Today I am back from my
> holiday, in one/two weeks I will finish beta version of the tool. I
> will announce it properly:-)

Might as well wait until you get this working before trying to deal with the
Mac issue.

I finished the location wizard and have started in on the georectifier. This
will take awhile now that classes are starting.

Michael