[STATSGRASS] GRASS 6 beta and R

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Jan 26 15:34:50 EST 2005

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Trevor Wiens wrote:

> I'm trying to use the R interface from the GRASS 6 beta.
>
> When initializing the system with
> G <- gmeta()
>
> I get the following error:
> Error in gmeta() : Bad or no region for current mapset
>
> If I use the command
> G <- gmeta(FALSE), or G <- gmeta("r.region -p")
> there is no error message, but then when I try to do something like:
>
> suffield <- rast.get(G, rlist=c("dem.30m", "birdsites_buffer_rast"), catlabels=as.logical(c(F,T)))
> Error in rast.get(G, rlist = c("dem.30m", "birdsites_buffer_rast"), catlabels = as.logical(c(F,  :
>         region for current mapset l
> run "g.region"
>
> This occurs.
>
> The R interface runs fine from GRASS 5.4, but not from the 6 beta. Has something changed that broke this?

Yes, there are changes that impact the working of the interface. A
workaround was found in reply to a question here earlier in January, the
thread starts at:

http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/statsgrass/2005-January/000179.html

and it seemed that setting interp=TRUE helped for now. Sorry for the
inconvenience, but while the existing interface works for GRASS < 5.7,
this may be the fix that has to be used for some weeks.

Roger