[STATSGRASS] GSTAT 2.4.3 compile problem with GRASS 5.4

Edzer J. Pebesma e.pebesma at geo.uu.nl
Tue Mar 15 15:38:00 EST 2005

Roger Bivand wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Thomas Adams wrote:
>

>>I am having GSTAT 2.4.3 compile problems with GRASS 5.4. When
>>configuring gstat for compilation I use:
>>
>>./configure --with-grass=/awips/rep/lx/local_apps/grass-build
>>
>>The GRASS 5.4 lib & include directories are located in
>>/awips/rep/lx/local_apps/grass-build, but I notice when gstat is being
>>configured for compilation, I get:
>>
>>checking for G_gisinit in -lgrass_gis... no
>>checking for G_gisinit in -lgis... no
>>

> Edzer: is this related to 5.4.0 going just shared? That only the *.so are
> in build/dist*/lib? On grass5, Glynn asked on Sunday:
>
> "I think that the point is that binary distributions should always
> include the libraries regardless of whether they are shared or static.
> IIRC, we currently only include the libraries if they are shared
> libraries.
>
> From a packaging (RPM etc) perspective, static libraries would
> normally go into a separate -devel package, along with the headers,
> while shared libraries would go into the main package."
>
> The configure seems to fail because it is looking for libgis.a or
> libgrass_gis.a at:
>
>  AC_CHECK_LIB(grass_gis, G_gisinit, GISLIB="-lgrass_gis -lgrass_datetime",
>   AC_CHECK_LIB(gis, G_gisinit, GISLIB="-lgis -ldatetime"))
>
> isn't it? Should it see a *.so as an *.a, they are different animals,
> aren't they?

No. They're different, but the .a are not required. gstat 2.4.4
links to grass-6.0.0beta1, which contains only .so in the lib dir;
I tried the 2.4.3 (targeted at grass 5.x) and the configure
worked on the grass6 machine, it finds the .so libraries. Then it
doesn't compile, for obvious reasons.

Thomas, could you double-check the directory names?

I need to set up grass 5.4 here in order to check it out.
--
Edzer

--
Edzer