[STATSGRASS] problem with RdbiPgSQL c.d.

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Aug 30 15:41:29 EDT 2006

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, Markus Neteler wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 09:00:16PM +0200, Roger Bivand wrote:
> > I would first try to use the versions from
> > http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/1.8/bioc/ - I don't know why Markus
> > has 1.9, they are for R 2.4, not 2.3, because there is a major
> > discontinuity in object defintions between 2.3 and 2.4, which may be being
> > picked up when a package prepared for 2.4 tries to read an object saved
> > under 2.3.
> >
> > Markus - was there a reason for writing 1.9? The change in object
> > structure is very recent, and another one happened today - 2.4 is changing
> > fast at the moment.
>

> Dear Roger, all,
>
> no particular reason for 1.9. I have changed it to 1.8 now.
> In the past I always used the dev version, but according to your
> comments that's no longer appropriate.
>
> sorry for any confusion,

Happily it isn't often that object structures change, but new-style class
objects do change non-compatibly between 2.3 and 2.4. It will mean (when
we know the extent of the impacts) telling users 1) to re-install all
packages depending on the methods package when 2.4 comes out, and
crucially 2) not to rely on being able to read data objects from 2.3 and
earlier in 2.4 and later.

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no