[STATSGRASS] problem with installing rgdal (to Roger, I thing)

Jarosław Jasiewicz jarekj at amu.edu.pl
Tue Sep 5 05:36:09 EDT 2006

I try to install rgdal 0.4-10 on another computer (ubuntu 6.06, R 2.3.1
from sources)

and I recive massage:

> checking proj_api.h presence... yes
> checking for proj_api.h... yes
> checking for pj_init_plus in -lproj... no
> libproj.a and/or proj_api.h not found.
> If the PROJ.4 library is installed in a non-standard location,
> use --configure-args='--with-proj-include=/opt/local/include
> --with-proj-lib=/opt/local/lib' for example, replacing /opt/local/*
> with appropriate values for your installation.
> If PROJ.4 is not installed, install it.
> ERROR: configuration failed for package 'rgdal'
> ** Removing '/usr/local/lib/R/library/rgdal'
Of course, I cannot add, I have proj4 installed porertly in:
usr/local/share/proj4, usr/local/lib and usr/local/include

(to avoid questions - beleve me, I know how proj4 shall be installed
propertly)

the proj_api.h is in usr/local/include and libproj.a is in usr/local lib

next according message I try
install.packages("rgdal", repos="http://...",
configure.args=c('--with-proj-lib=/usr/local/lib',
'--with-proj-include=/usr/local/include'))

I recived the same message

Because /usr/local/... for some programs are not standard instalation
path (in spite of it it is on PATH) i have installed proj4 from ubuntu
repository to /usr/lib, usr/share/proj4 and /usr/include

and I recived the same message

In my home compurer, where I had installed rgdal 0.4-8 before
installation was without problems (problems are with sperfish60 and
other unprojected locations but it isn't a theme of that post)

I know that configure.args is not proper. It shall be with variables but
I don't know which (LD_LIBRARY_PATH LD_INCLUDE_PATH taht not work??)

And in addition. I don't know it is connected - but few second after
mentioned error computers resources going to 0 (I cannot try which
application) and R stops with message: cannot allocate 27 bytes...
others libraries (include PgSQL was instaslled without problems)