[STATSGRASS] Re: gmeta6() returns empty string

Tilmann Steinmetz tilmann.steinmetz at geo.uni-halle.de
Thu Mar 1 07:40:41 EST 2007

Hi Roger and all,

> Very strange, maybe when Stromboli calms down?

I'm still covered with tephra but starting to see clearer: I tried executing
system("g.region -p") in R on a similar machine, running R 2.2.1 on FreeBSD
5.4 and GRASS6.0.2,2 which _does not_ have similar problems- so the shell
thing definitely is not a general FreeBSD problem. I am still thankful for
every hint that may lead to the wanted rogue environment variable or
whatever.

> > Is there any way I can go from here without running Grass on,
> say, Linux?
>
> Yes, of course. Just run them side-by-side, with GRASS using
> r.in.gdal and
> v.in.ogr to read files written from R by writeGDAL() and writeOGR()
> in
> rgdal, and r.out.* and v.out.ogr wrt. readOGR() and readGDAL() in
> rgdal in

oh great! I wasn't aware of that.

> R. This is almost what the interface does anyway, but because the
> new
> stand-alone r.out.gdal is in 6.3, you may need to choose your
> prefered 6.2
> raster output format avoiding the older scripted r.out.gdal if you
> are not
> running the GDAL GRASS plugin (best not to, IMO). All the interface
> gives
> over and above this is handling the intermediate files as temporary
> files,
> and adding GRASS categories as factor levels to R factors.
>
> How did you install R, I assume you built from source? Did you
> notice any
> worrying messages?

yes - it was installed from the FreeBSD ports collection (i.e. a source
install which resolves dependencies, or: is meant to ..) I am now updating -
lets see what happens.

Tilmann