[GRASS-stats] R packages and GRASS

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Nov 5 13:48:16 EST 2009

On Thu, 5 Nov 2009, Felipe Carrillo wrote:

> Hi all: I'm brand new to GRASS and this list and just wanted to see if
> someone could point out to what I need to synchronize R and GRASS. I
> already downloaded GRASS 6.3, spgrass6 and dependencies and at my first
> attempt something is happening but I can't quite see a way to import
> data into R or run commands from R. I ran into the code below yesterday
> but I can't figure out how to run it from R.

I replied offlist to a mail directly to me suggesting to Felipe that he
post (done), that he read the PDFs shipped with spgrass6 (he hasn't), and
to decide which mode he needs - R within GRASS or R freestanding using
GRASS in a temporary location (hasn't done that either), then read the
help pages (unknown).

system.file("doc", package="spgrass6")

shows where the PDFs live in an installed package.

He could also watch:

http://spatial.nhh.no/wun09/wun_grass.swf

which shows the use of the interface in a GRASS 6.3 Windows setting, but
before the important update to replace the direct use of system() with
execGRASS() at the user level.

I think that until these recommendations are followed, he's unlikely to
gain from any further advice. I don't have time to handhold. He has only
said that he is using GRASS 6.3, but not his system, or R's sessionInfo().

Roger