[GRASS-stats] R interface to grass 7.1

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 11:44:12 PDT 2015

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 12:43 PM, Roger Bivand <Roger.Bivand at nhh.no> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is:
>

> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2015#Neweasy-to-usecommandlineinterfaceforGRASSGIS
>
> is it? Did it get accepted - I don't see this on:
>
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org2/show/google/gsoc2015/osgeo
>
> and think that only improved metadata got funded. Do we know what the
> actual status is on this?

Hi Roger,

I can answer it :) I'm doing it simply because I need it (and I'm also
tired of solving the setup of environment variables over on over). However,
the GSoC idea went behind what I implemented. I implemented:

grass /path/to/mapset --exec r.external input=elevation.tiff
output=elevation
grass /path/to/mapset --exec r.univar map=elevation

Once conceptual questions are answered, it should be relatively simple to
add the following:

grass setmapset /path/to/mapset
grass run r.external input=elevation.tiff output=elevation
grass run r.univar map=elevation

The GSoC idea went much further:

grass execute r.univar map=file://elevation.tiff

* I used `execute` in the example, I'm not comfortable with the name but
the idea is to keep the names different for each interface to distinguish
the interfaces (but perhaps it is a wrong idea?). From discussion with
Rainer, I see that parameters won't cut it for shebang and there needs to
be a separate executable something like `grassscript`.

It would love to accommodate needs of the R interface. We just need to
figure out what they are.

Vaclav