[GRASS-stats] What is the status of R package GRASS GIS

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Mar 4 09:19:21 PST 2015

On Wed, 4 Mar 2015, Vaclav Petras wrote:

> Hi,
>
> can somebody summarize for me what is the status of spgrass*/rgrass*
> packages? I remember that the package for 7 should be `rgrass7` but now I
> see `spgrass` for G7 in the `spgrass` project description but I guess it is
> just a typo because R packages page says `rgrass7`. So just the project is
> `spgrass`? Then there is also the package which will use Rcpp and GRASS GIS
> C library, right?

Right with regard to the choice of rgrass7 as the name of the forthcoming
package, currently I'm waiting for the PROJ 4.9.1 release before
installing GRASS 7.0 locally before releasing. For the source package and
the Windows binary, installation from R-Forge is by:

install.packages("rgrass7", repos="http://R-Forge.R-project.org")

OSX users would have to install from source until a CRAN submission is
made (after R 3.1.3 is released shortly, but before R 3.2.0 in April).

I do not believe that an R package linking to the libgis library has any
merit. It would be almost impossible to support cross-platform, and would
offer very little that isn't already available.

Roger

> Thanks,
> Vaclav
>
> [1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-stats/2015-February/001514.html
> [2]
> http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/spgrass7-support-for-strds-td5186797.html
> [3] http://r-forge.r-project.org/projects/spgrass/
> [4] http://r-forge.r-project.org/R/?group_id=2020

Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway.
voice: +47 55 95 93 55; fax +47 55 95 91 00
e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no