[GRASS translations] RE: Portuguese translation

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Fri Dec 10 09:06:11 EST 2004

Hi Eduardo,

to translate the GRASS 5.7 documentation, please download the
source code (latest!! best from CVS to keep in sync) and to
take the files 'description.html'. The translated files
(then called 'description_pt_BR.html' for example) we should
insert into the CVS for future maintenance.

Anything else would get outdated quickly or lost.

In general all GRASS 5.7 modules (should) have such a file,
however, we are continuously updating them. Translators should
be aware of that and take care to keep the translated files
updated as well.

Let me suggest to start with a few important pages. Then
we (me?) will have to extend the HTML/MAN page creation engine
to take care of integrating well the translated pages upon compile
time.

Please note that the header/footer/parameters/flags section is
generated *automatically* while everything below the
DESCRIPTION section is maintained manually. So: no need to translate
the first part with parameters and flags. This will appear translated
automatically once the messages in the C code got translated (po files).
But this requires changes in the C code which are (slowly) done
by programmers/contributors.

module related 'description.html' files have to be translated.
Best is to use an ASCII editor to avoid that messy HTML code
get's inserted which won't be properly translated to MAN format
later.

Thanks

 Markus

--