Re; awk help

Simon Cox simon at cerberus.earth.monash.edu.au
Wed Aug 12 11:25:15 EDT 1992

There was a utility which would do exactly this.
On some UNIX systems there was a command "lam" that did a line by line
concatenation of text files.  This was very useful so I have carried
around the source code from an old BSD system, as I have moved on, and
installed it locally at each place.  I don't know why such a useful tool
was deleted from the system.  Any ideas, anyone??

> Don't use awk to do this. Use pr:
>
> 	 pr -m -t -l1 -s' ' file1 file2
>
> This will do what you want, except it adds one line at the end of its output
> tht contains a single space. If you want to get rid of this last line
> add a sed script to delete lines that have only a single space:
>
> 	 pr -m -t -l1 -s' ' x y | sed '/^ $/d'
> |
> |Could someone with with a greater knowledge of awk than  me  help
> |me  out  with  a  short  script that will read two floating point
> |numbers from two seperate files and write out a single file  with
> |four values on each line ?

Dr Simon Cox			|

Department of Earth Sciences	|
Monash University		|