p.map help

Melissa Records records at zorro.cecer.army.mil
Fri May 1 16:22:01 EDT 1992

> Can someone tell me what's wrong with this input file to p.map?
> Using the preview driver, all that I get is a map on a gray
> background (no colortable and no comments). The map has only 4 cats...
> my region is set so that
> 		(west-east) >> (north-south)
> (i.e., image occupies all of panel in one direction, but there's
> plenty of space above and beneath).  I'm sure that I'm doing something
> fundamentally wrong here... can you spot it?
>
> 	% p.map input=prescription
>
> filename: prescription
> > colormode approx
> > raster prescription.chem
> > colortable y
> > comments prescription.comments
> >  end
> > outline
> >  color black
> >  end
>
> filename: prescription.comments
> > Spatial Prescription of Herbicides
>
> --jdm

Hi there.  I've got a couple of guesses.  Sounds like your region
may not be set properly.  Like it's displaying the map, but your
region isn't right, so you're seeing nothing.  Try simply displaying
the raster file that you're printing, by using the "d.rast" command.
If you don't get what you want, you may need to change the region
to the appropriate area.

If this is fine, then there's a couple of other possibilities.
Is your current working directory the location of your pmap script?
If not, you'll need to let paint know where the script is.  GRASS
doesn't know where you keep your pmap scripts.  One of it's
idiosyncrasies.  Another possibility is a problem with the script
file.  Generally, if there's problems with the actual instructions in
a script, you get some error messages.  Possible instruction problems
may be:  you might try putting the "colormode" instruction after the
raster instruction.  This may not be the problem, but generally, pmap
is happier if you FIRST let it know that it is printing a raster map,
before you specify raster options.  Also, you may not have enough
"end" statements.  Although the program generally complains, in this
case, but your last "end" statement is for the "outline" instruction
and you should really tack on an "end" statement for the entire script,
at the very last.

That's all I can think of, off hand.  Good luck.

melissa records