installation problems on Sun 4

Michael Zajac mzajac at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Thu Nov 19 15:20:55 EST 1992

We've been trying to get grass 4.0 running on a Sun4 server, with several
Sparcs as terminals.  The basic program is running, but there are some
problems.  Can anyone offer some advice?

Colour tables will not display correctly on the (8-bit) Sparcs.  When I
apply a grey-scale colourtable to an image it appears in two strange yellow
and green colours in d.display.

We are having some permission problems.  I have a data set in my home
directory.  Others members of my group have been unable to access those
files with grass, even though they have full UNIX permission and I turned
on the grass permission for that data set.

When trying to install RIM a very large number of messages in the form
"find: cannot chdir to ./home/u5/umhaugh0: Permission denied" are
generated.

I also get an error when trying to use the d.display command using MacX on
a macintosh as an x-server.  The error message reads:
        Xerror of failed request: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
        Major opcode of failed request:  78 (X_CreateColormap)
        Serial number of failed request:  13

I am not a UNIX wizard, and the local one has run out of patience with this
installation, so I would appreciate any wisdom you may be able to offer.
--
Michael Zajac (Dept of Landscape Architecture)
University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2